Mrs. Carla Monti

Mrs. Carla Monti

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Tiramisu and Mini Pot Pies!

Following my successful attempt at panna cotta last week, and in light of the oppressive heat down here in South Florida, I decided to try my hand at another creamy Italian classic - tiramisu! I had to invent a little because upon returning home from the grocery store, I discovered I had forgotten the ladyfingers, a rather integral component as any tiramisu-lover would know! I ended up mostly going my own way on this recipe, but I did take some inspiration from Confections of a Food Bride.

First off, I decided to use an assortment of glasses to house individualized portions of tiramisu instead of making a larger one to cut pieces out of. I used martini glasses and highball glasses. For the base, I crushed some shortbread cookies and pressed them down into the bottom of the glasses. Then I whipped mascarpone, vanilla extract, sugar and heavy cream together to make the first creamy layer. I made a second creamy layer with mascarpone, vanilla, sugar, and espresso to make a lovely caramel colored, coffee scented cream. I layered the two different creams by piping them into the glasses using ziplock bags with the corners cut out. For the next layer, I took the remainder of the crushed shortbread cookies and mixed them with espresso to make a crumbly, chunky layer and spread that on as well. For the final layer, I whipped heaving cream together with sugar and then topped with cocoa power. Voila! A little invention, a little substitution, and a delicious creamy, coffee dessert awaits in my fridge. :)



For dinner I made mini chicken and veggie pot pies - couldn't be any easier! I made shredded chicken breasts by baking them in tented tinfoil until cooked through, then combining in a hot oiled pan with onion, garlic, peas, corn, lentils, and white wine. To form them, I Pam-sprayed two cupcake tins, and then mixed up some Bisquick baking mix with eggs and milk. I filled the bottom of the tins with a little Bisquick, and then a big spoonful of the pot pie mix, and topped with a bit more Bisquick. They bake for less then half an hour and are very flavorful and filling! Recipe courtesy of Betty Crocker.

4 comments: